Orders of Magnitude is a completed serial fiction, the prequel to both Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality (HPMOR), and Significant Digits (SD), which was in turn the sequel to HPMOR. It was originally written in a highly non-linear style, separated into various Arcs that spanned millennia. This was advantageous in the beginning, because although I had the characters and overall plot lined out, I wasn’t sure which aspects I wanted to focus on first, so it allowed me to have my cake and eat it, too. However, the “Arc” format began to hamstring things a bit, so I scrapped it. The “official” order is now in roughly Chronological Order, and can be found below.
- Prologue: Strange Loops
- Ch. 0: Minor Fall, Major Lift
- Chapter 1: Put Your Little Hand in Mine
- Chapter 2: The Goat and the Ram
- Chapter 3: The Fall
- Chapter 4: Pure Imagination
- Chapter 5: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern
- Chapter 6: Cups and Wands
- Chapter 7: Egeusly Stare
- Chapter 8: The Sudden Stop
- Chapter 9: The Transmigration
- Chapter 10: I Love the Way You Lie (pt. II)
- Omake: Trump Card
- Chapter 11: Things Fall Apart, The Center Cannot Hold (pt. III)
- Chapter 12: The Battle of Hogwarts – Prelude
- Chapter 13: The Battle of Hogwarts
- Chapter 14: Beautiful Lost Nebula
- Chapter 15: The Walrus Was Paul
- Chapter 16: Huis Clos
- Chapter 17: Mad World
- Chapter 18: Ordinary World
- Chapter 19: A Song For You
- Chapter 20: Ms. Phaethon
- Chapter 21: A Million Same
- Chapter 22: The Tragedy of Light
- Chapter 23: Saturn Ascends
- Chapter 24: The Fault in Our Stars
- Chapter 25: Something to Protect: Bellatrix Black
- Chapter 26: Will We Die, Just A Little?
- Chapter 27: Infernal Galop
- Chapter 28: If Only in My Dreams
- Chapter 29: Crab Canon
- Chapter 30: The Day After Tomorrow
- Author’s Notes
6 thoughts on “Orders of Magnitude”
Thank you for this lovely fanfic fanfic fanfic. The thing I loved most about Sig Digs was the world building, and Orders took that nugget and went all the way into multi-universe building (where does the fanfic fanfic fanfic fanfic go from there?). You covered so many freaking timelines and timeframes, and still managed to tie them together. Well done.
Do we know who Constantine and Natalie were from Before?
Constantine = Meldh, Natalie = Ollivander
Holy fucking fuck I can’t beleive this fanfic fanfic fanfic just keeps getting better. Just got done and am now rereading again.
I just finished it and… I KNOW it’s a great story, a lot of parts made me cry and cheer, but I still feel that I barely understood what’s about? It would be great if the author put an extra chapter with a summary of what really happened…
That was something. I am not a native English speaker and sometimes it was a hard reading for me, especially the first half. But when the story with Perenell started, it all started to fasten, and the ending is such a Mobius strip with a bit of Evangelion… I felt like it was me who was through the event horizon 😅
And the words of power and madness… And all other fourth wall hints. Thank you.